2021 Travel Season Travel Key Dates
MANDATORY TRAVEL TEAM PLAYER EVALUATIONS
DATES: July 20 and July 21 2020 - PLEASE PLAN ON ATTENDING BOTH DAYS
LOCATION: Lake Ann Fields
MONDAY, July 20: 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
TUESDAY, July 21: 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Please be sure to bring your equipment (bat, batting helmet, glove, fielder's mask, water, etc.) Wear cleats if possible.
PITCHERS & CATCHERS - You must also complete a pitcher and/or catcher evaluation. This applies to 10U Travel and 12U Travel only.
Please plan on attending an evaluation slot on both days. Pitchers and catchers will evaluate at the same time of their age group's timeslot.
Sign up for a 15 minute slot using the link below. Please arrive early enough to get warmed up. (You must supply your own partner for warming up, but a catcher will be provided during your evaluation). **Note - parents are not allowed on the fields during evaluations unless you are warming up your pitcher - then please exit the field area when her evaluation timeslot begins.
PITCHER EVALUATION SIGNUP: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D49AFAA2FAAFF2-2021
CATCHER EVALUATION SIGNUP: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D49AFAA2FAAFF2-2021
NO EVALS FOR SPRING 10U LEAGUE OR 8U TEAMS
2020/2021 - OTHER KEY DATES:
20/21 - Travel Player Evaluations
Team Roster Announcements - no later than July 26
Practices Start - week of July 27
8/9 - First Fall Ball games (8U and 10U on Saturdays, 12U on Sundays)
Winter clinics begin
JANUARY - MARCH 2021:
Spring/Summer Travel and League Team registrations open
Practices Start - week of March 29 (depending on weather)
? - Fastpitch Friday! The HS Varsity and JV will lead the girls in a couple of hours of fun games
? - Big West Coaches Meeting
? - Youth Night
Players who have registered for player evaluations and cannot participate due to an injury or illness will be excused upon delivery of a doctor's note describing the player's limitations. Players excused due to injury or illness must present a signed doctor's release indicating that the player is medically fit before they will be allowed to participate in any Chanhassen Athletic Association activities. Players who miss the scheduled player evaluation sessions due to illness or injury will be assigned to a team in the lowest offered level. The player evaluation staff and the Chanhassen Athletic Association Baseball/Softball Board will determine this.
Pitching - Velocity, accuracy, form, multiple pitches and command
Catching - Set up, catching, blocking, throwing to bases, tossing back to pitcher on a wild pitch
Hitting - Bunting, Full swings solid contact, form
Fielding - ground balls, fly balls/pop ups, throwing
Hitting will be off of a jugs machine gunned at 40 MPH for 10U and 45 MPH for 12U.
Pitchers will pitch to a volunteer catching for them (hopefully one of our beloved Chan Varsity players)
Catchers will have a volunteer pitching to them (hopefully one of our beloved Chan Varsity players)
Emphasis is on skill development, teamwork, cooperation, sportsmanship and respect for others. Winning is not the primary focus, however, competing and striving to win are emphasized at a minimum due to the competitive nature of the sport and the fact that in tournaments winning most likely means additional games played. The main goal is to HAVE FUN! Winning is fun, but you do not need to win to have fun.
Teams are selected to ensure that both the team and individual development needs are best served at the appropriate level of competition. The teams are selected to ensure that the talent distribution on each team is appropriate and well balanced. Team formation differs slightly at each level of play and requires the judgement of the team selection committee for optimal results. The team selection committee uses the tryout results as input for individual team placement along with previous coach's input. The intent is to roster each team with 10-12 players (11 is ideal).
Team level is set at different levels (A, B, C) depending on the overall team competitive level. Individuals are rostered to teams based on ability as demonstrated during the tryouts. Teams bat their entire roster and have overall equal playing time. Players will typically play 2-3 positions throughout the season. Week-day games are focused on player development versus a "must win" mentality. Tournaments are more competative and coaches will often reduce player rotation. Teams have 3-4 events per week, a combination of practices and games. Teams primarily play their league games Monday and Wednesday evenings with practices Tuesday and Thursday evenings.. Teams participate in weekend tournaments: three tournaments, League Qualifier tournament, MMFL State, and NAFA National (if it qualifies). Link to 12U League Rules.
Travel Softball Team Selection Process
• Teams are selected to ensure that both the team and individual development needs are best served at the appropriate level of competition. The teams are selected to ensure that the talent distribution on each team is appropriate and well balanced. Team formation differs slightly at each level of play and requires the judgment of the team selection committee for optimal results. The team selection committee uses the tryout results as input for individual team placement.
• Top 8 evaluated players from evaluation day automatically make the first team.
• Head Coach of first team is selected from parents of top 8 players (head coach may be selected from next 4 players if no one from top 8 players registered and were selected by coach committee)
• Final roster spots for first team filled by head coach from list created by player agent of next highest evaluated players along with previous coach's input. (This list will include at least 6 next highest evaluated players and players within next appropriate scoring range determined by player agent and Travel Softball Director)
• First team approved by Player Agent, Softball President, and Travel Softball Director
• After first team is selected, next highest 8 evaluated players automatically make the second team.
• Second team Head Coach is selected from parents of top 8 players (head coach may be selected from next 4 players if no one from top 8 players registered and were selected by coach committee)
• Final roster spots for second team filled by head coach from list created by player agent of next highest evaluated players. (This list will include at least 6 next highest evaluated players and players within next appropriate scoring range determined by player agent and Travel Softball Director)
• Second team approved by Player Agent, Softball President, and Travel Softball Director
• Same process used if there is a third team
Pitching is essential to any softball team and in an effort to provide as many opportunities to develop pitchers; we have process for assigning pitchers
• The pitchers will be ranked by evaluations. The top 2 pitchers will automatically make the first team even if the either pitcher is not in the top 8 overall evaluated players. If a pitcher is not in the top 8, they are counted as one of the manager’s picks.
• The remaining pitchers will be assigned evenly across the remaining teams (i.e. if 6 pitchers evaluate, 3 per team with 2 teams or 2 per team with 3 teams)
• A pitcher who evaluates on the second team or lower as a pitcher, but makes a higher team as a position player has the option to play for the higher team. That team is not required to have that player pitch if they choose to play on the higher team. There is no guarantee that this player will pitch.
• A pitcher can opt to play with the second or lower team where she will be one of the 2 starting pitchers even if she is an automatic top 8 pick for the first team.
• A catcher can opt to play with the second or lower team where she will be one of the 2 starting catchers even if she is an automatic top 8 pick for the higher level team.
• Provide effective, high quality training for players and coaches at all levels.
• Provide programs that are cooperative with, and respected by, other community programs.
• Strive to create a fun and entertaining environment for the players, families, coaches and community.
• Seek to maximize the potential of every player in the program.
• Develop players and teams that are able to compete at a top level.
• Encourage and foster player participation for the full length of a player's youth sports career.
• Foster the importance of teamwork and the understanding that all team members play an integral part in the success of the team.
• Promote skill development and create a positive self-esteem for every player.
• Display exemplary sportsmanship always.
Registration for 8U, 10U and 12U Storm Fastpitch Softball is held between January and Early March. The preferred registration method is online at Register Here.
Flyers are available through the schools and the Chanhassen Recreation Center. Players must provide a copy of their birth certificate with picture identification at registration.
Refunds: see the CAA Baseball/Softball refund policy under documents
Travelling Coach Selection Process
Anyone interested in coaching a team must check the appropriate area on the registration form. In the event that there are multiple people interested in being the head coach, the CAA Baseball/Softball Board will evaluate the candidates on their commitment to coaching, previous coaching experience, knowledge of the game, and coaching philosophy to select the head coach. The head coach and Chanhassen Baseball/Softball Board will select assistant coaches based on the same criteria. Selection criteria includes at a minimum the following items:
• Previous youth coaching experience, including feedback from prior seasons.
• Knowledge of the game of Softball
• Ability to teach players of all skill levels
• Attendance and active participation in coach and player clinics.
• Ability to represent CAA with the utmost respect and sportsmanship.
• Ability to provide positive reinforcement to players in both practices and game situations.
• Completion of winter coaching clinics is a plus
• ASA ACE Certification is expected for travel coaches
• This must be the coaches’ top priority and only traveling team during the softball season
West Metro Thunder Girls Fastpitch Softball Information
The West Metro Thunder is a softball partnership between Chanhassen and Chaska community softball organizations. Our goal is to create an opportunity for girls to play competitive fastpitch softball but without the year long expense and time commitment of club teams. We will form as many teams as possible based on number of interested players.
WMT is currently being administered by our partners in Chaska. Please visit the Chaska Youth Softball Association website for information regarding WMT teams.